Sunday, February 21, 2010

To Be a Witness

“To be a reflection of Jesus is to be light and hope for the world.”

“Witnessing” is one of those words that make all of us uncomfortable. We immediately begin to have visions of the guys on bicycles going door to door or the folks walking up to people in public places asking, “If you died today, do you know where you will go?” When we look at what the Bible says about witnessing, we will find that various forms of the word “witness” occurs 42 times in the New Testament. But not one of those 42 occurrences is the expression “to witness”. In Acts 1:8, Jesus says, “You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses…to the ends of the earth.” Jesus is not calling us just “to witness” but to “be witnesses”. The word “Be” means “to exist in actuality; to remain in a certain state.” God desires for us to be a true representation of Him in our homes, at work and within our community. Representing and witnessing for God involves our whole life, not just a verbal presentation of the Gospel.

Another misconception we have is that only “mature” Christians or the “qualified” can be witnesses. We are fearful of appearing foolish and think that witnessing involves being able to quote scripture or to say an eloquent prayer. In 1 Corinthians 2:1-5, Paul writes, “When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power."

 A couple of years ago, we were doing a patient-focused Bone Marrow Drive at a local church. I had planned to speak to the congregation for about 5 minutes on the need for Bone Marrow Donors and go over the testing process. Right before I stepped onto the stage, the Pastor leaned over and whispered that he was going to give me 20 minutes of his sermon time to share whatever God placed on my heart. As you can imagine, my heart fell to my knees and I began to panic. Not only was this a large, primarily African American church (white girl can’t preach!), but it was also televised! I was unprepared, unqualified and about to make a complete fool of myself. As I walked up to the podium, I did the only thing I knew to do…I prayed. I told God that that I would do my part and open my mouth, but that He needed to show up and do the talking! I am relieved to tell you that God did show up and demonstrated His power through little-ole’-not-qualified-shaking-in-my-boots-ME!(I even got a few Amens!!) In less than 3 hours, we registered 250 new donors to the National Registry. To date, this has been our largest drive. And all I did was trust and open my mouth. God did all the rest.

So, I ask you. Do you have relationship with Jesus? Do you know and believe the story of the Cross? Then you, my friend, are qualified. Just like Paul, God will work through us if we will allow Him.


We are all witnesses and are called to be a source of light and Hope to those around us. We are sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ through not only our words, but also through our actions. So, next time you are sending a card of encouragement, making a meal for a family, visiting someone in the hospital or even stepping up to a microphone, remember that you have been called and are more than qualified to BE a witness for our Lord and Savior.

Can I get an Amen?!?

7 comments:

  1. Praying for you in Seattle!
    Psalm 71:5-8; For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD: thou art my trust from my youth. By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother's bowels: my praise shall be continually of thee. I am as a wonder unto many; but thou art my strong refuge. Let my mouth be filled with thy praise and with thy honour all the day.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying!
    Psalms 27:13-14: I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lord will always be there with you! And I'm here praying!
    Romans 8:31-32 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still here lifting up prayers!
    Psalms 18:30-32 As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him. For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God? It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  5. What words of comfort! Praying!
    John 14:1-4: Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying right now!
    Isaiah 43:1-3a But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour...
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying in Seattle!
    Romans 8:18: For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete