Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Our Sweet Baby Jay

was born 9 years ago today. Weighing in at 8 lbs 14oz, William Jason Gaskins entered this world fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of God (Genesis 1:27). He was knit together in my womb and every day of his life was recorded in God’s book (Psalm 139:13-16). On January 5th, 2001 at 5:00AM, our Jay was born to us with a sovereign purpose. A purpose of peace and not disaster, a purpose of a future filled with HOPE (Jeremiah 29:11).




When Jay was diagnosed with cancer at the age of two, I was told that the seeds of the tumor were formed in my womb and continued to slowly grow after he was born. Medically speaking, something went awry in his DNA that caused the cancerous cells and there was a defect. Awry is defined as, "away from the correct or expected course.” Defect is defined as, “a lack of something necessary for perfection; an imperfection.” Both of these definitions imply a mistake, and for years I was guilt-ridden that maybe I had something to do with why Jay had cancer. After all, the “bad” seeds had grown inside of me.

In Exodus 4:11, God asked Moses, “Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who give him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the Lord? In John 9:1-3, Jesus and the disciples were walking along and saw a man who had been blind from birth. The Disciples asked, “Rabbi, why was this man born blind? Was it because of his own sins or his parents’ sins?” Jesus answered, “It was not because of his sins or his parent’s sins. This happened so that the power of God could be seen in him.” God didn’t tell Moses that He only permitted deafness or blindness. He said that He created people with those conditions. In the New Testament, Jesus declares that there was a divine, sovereign purpose in the man’s blindness.

Seven months into treatment, Jay and I were able to return home from Memphis. Multiple surgeries, radiation and chemotherapy had taken a toll on his little body. He was thin, pale, bald, scarred and he had a tracheotomy and a feeding tube. His appearance was somewhat shocking to others, especially strangers who did not know our story. One day, the kids and I went to lunch at a local sandwich shop. Jay was tired and I was holding him while ordering our food. Like many times before, I was trying my best to ignore the stares, but I noticed a young woman who couldn’t keep her eyes off of Jay. I could tell that Jay had noticed because he was burying his head into my chest. Being the overprotective Mama, I turned to this woman and said, “Can I help you?”(((insert sarcasm))) People had said some real boneheaded things over the past 7 months, but I was totally caught off guard with what came out of her mouth. She cocked her head, looked straight at Jay and said, “Was he born like that?” Not really knowing how to respond, I just said, “No” and moved on. Of course, I have thought of so many comebacks that would have been so good! But, I am ashamed to say that most of them would not have been very Christ like. Now, almost six years later and with a renewed Biblical perspective, I know exactly what I should have said, minus the sarcasm.

"Yes ma’am, he was born just like this. Unmistakably perfect, completely wonderful and purposefully made."


As the mother of a child who was born with what our medical community called a “defect”, I can now find great comfort in knowing that nothing happens randomly or because of bad genes or bad luck. God is all sovereign, full of grace and does not make mistakes. Romans 8:28-30 tells us that, "In all things God works for good with those who love him, those whom he has called according to his purpose. Those whom God had already chosen he also set apart to become like his Son, so that the Son would be the first among many brothers. And so those whom God set apart, he called; and those he called, he put right with himself, and he shared his glory with them."


Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you that we are able to celebrate the birth of our sweet Baby Jay today, who was fearfully and wonderfully made in your image. Thank you for your sovereign purpose for him and for each of us. Jay’s five years of life were precious and beyond all treasure, and I thank you for entrusting Jason and I to be his parents. What an honor it has been.

Dear Baby Jay,

Today we will celebrate your birthday by having lunch at Chick-fil-A and dinner at Ingleside Pizza…two of your favorite places! Kaitlyn wants to bake you a cake(yellow with chocolate icing) and Tanner wants to send you 9 green balloons…your favorite color! We will tell stories, look at old pictures and find comfort in knowing that we will all be together again one day. We love you, Baby Jay and miss you so much.

Love and kisses,
Mommy, Daddy, Sissy and Tan Man






9 comments:

  1. Glad to see you are blogging again. You have always had such a talent for the written word (just one of your many). God continues to use you as an instrument to inspire us all and to help us remember the things that are truly important. Love and miss you all! Give Kaitlyn and Tanner a big hug from us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy do I remember this day! What a whopper that guy was! I remember expecting him to just start talking or walking. He'd so seriously look at you, like he knew your silly thoughts and was just waiting for the day to tell you exactly what he thought. What a blessing he was, and still is to us, touched by his life, marked by his passing and persistently hopeful for the lessons his life continues to teach us.

    Thanks for the way you shared Jay with me that day, and thank you for how you continue to share him with so many, in such godly hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy, I'm glad to have found this new blog through Facebook. I followed your story for a long time and got to know Jay through his Caring Bridge site. I wept when you lost him on this earth. Less than a year later, my college friend Jenny lost her sweet Catie to cancer as well. Your stories keep me grounded, making me realize that this world is indeed not our home, that suffering does somehow draw us closer to God, and that there is truly nothing we can endure on earth that can separate us from Jesus. I am not quite where you are yet, as I find it very tough to accept that God gives people cancer, but I know without a doubt that God carries people in spite of and through terrible circumstances. Thank you so much for sharing your photos and your thoughts. You are on a journey I can barely begin to fathom, and I'm grateful that you allow us to share in it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ps. I meant to sign my name as I do not actually use Blogger. I'm Kelley Land, and I've met you a couple of times through Jay's Hope. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Know how hard today had to have been...thanks for sharing so much about your precious son!
    Praying in Seattle!
    Romans 5:4-6 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus: That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  6. Know that I'm here praying!
    John 11:25-26: Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  7. Continuing to lift up prayers!
    Matthew 11:28-30: Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
    Prayer Bears
    My email address

    ReplyDelete
  8. You may not remember me, but I know who you are from St. Jude, we were both staying at RMH at the same time in 2003 and I saw you last at one my son Steven's August followup visits in Memphis, there was a country-western dance in the cafeteria.

    I used to follow your caringbridge site but it's been quite a while since I took a look. The thing that triggered my visit today was seeing a link to Jay's caringbridge site on Tyler Doughtie's site.

    Are you aware of this movie Letters To God?

    I enjoyed your post about Jay, that sweet little boy, he endured SO SO much but just kept plugging along, I've never known anyone like him.

    It seems like we've lost a host of St. Jude medullo and pnet friends just recently, my son continues to do well but the losses are hitting me really hard.

    I wanted to point you to another boy's site, another medullo patient who left this world yesterday, but what an amazing inspiration he's been to us.
    Carson Leslie
    The Carson Leslie Story (youtube video)

    He's got a book coming out, they were scrambling to get it done before he passed but as you said, God's will isn't always our will.

    I still remember Jay, I don't think we will ever forget him. Love to you, mama Gaskins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One more thing, if you don't already know I don't think I made it clear that it's Tyler's dad Patrick who wrote the screenplay for the Letters To God movie, and he's got a book coming out in March.

    ReplyDelete